Welcome to Masjid Sultan, a premier mosque in Singapore and prominent landmark in the Kampong Glam Malay Heritage District. The district is a show-case for tourists to learn, understand the religion, culture and the diverse ethnic group that make up the Muslim Singaporeans today.
MASJID SULTAN has a long history that goes back to 1824 and has passed through many development stages before becoming what it is today.
The Mosque has a prayer hall which can accommodate up to 5000 people in mass prayer.
By deed of trust, it is under a Board of Trustees of 12 members who represent 6 ethnic groups namely Malays, Bugis, Javanese, Arabs, Tamils and Northern Indians.
Later in 2005, the Mosque Management Board was given the mandate by Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (MUIS) to manage the activities of the mosque with the Board of Trustees being in-charge of the structure and land of the historical mosque.
Various committees of volunteers are set up to be involved in its activities such as the Missionary and Islamic Learning (Ibadah & Dakwah) & Docents, Project ( Ramadan, Maulid Expo, Fund –Raising, Korban, etc), Social Development Uswah(Senior Citizen), Youth Wing (Young Sultan), Poor & Needy, An-Nisaa, Family Development, Intellectual Discussion and Adhoc, Maintenance (Building of the Mosque), Wakaf Committees, Refurbishment Committees, etc.
These committees are supported by Mosque Management Board’s full-time staff.
Brief History of Masjid Sultan
1824 – Sultan Hussain Shah, Ruler of Temasek, former name of Singapore, proposed to build a mosque. Sir Stamford Raffles promised that the East India Company will donate $3,000 to assist in the building of Sultan Mosque. It was ready two years later.
It was a brick structure with an area sufficient for the Muslim population of that time to do their prayers.
1879 – Sultan Alauddin Shah, grandson of Sultan Hussain Shah, the ruler of this period handed over the administration to a Board of Trustees consisting of five Muslim leaders.
1914 – The lease of the land where Masjid Sultan was situated was extended by the Straits Settlement Government for a further 999 years. A new Board of Trustees consisting of twelve members were formed.
1924 – The Board of Trustees proposed to rebuild a new building for the mosque on the same site.
Construction went through phases so as not to disrupt the prayers in the Mosque.
The new building costing $200,000 was completed four years later. The Mosque building with its unique architecture is still the pride of Singapore Muslims today.
1975 – The Masjid Sultan was declared a preserved historical building under the patronage of the Preservation of Monuments Board Act.
1987 – The Government of Singapore approved the application by the Board of Trustees to carry out an extension project for the mosque. The project is to build a three storey annex building on a 1,184 sq. meters land adjoining the mosque. Consequently with the declaration by the government to preserve and conserve the Kampong Glam area as our heritage, the Mosque will invariably undertake a key role.
1993 – The Completion of the project will upgrade the facilities in the mosque and provide the infrastructure for educating the people on Islam as a religion and a way of life.